Monday, April 06, 2009

L.A. Weekly's new food blog ... what else did I miss?

Jeez, I go to Santa Barbara for two days and I miss all the big news at Variety as well as the L.A. Weekly's new food blog Squid Ink finally launching. It also marks the return of "Ask Mr. Gold" where readers can ask questions directly of the Pulitzer prize-winning writer.
"How 2006," someone Twittered about Squid Ink. That seems a little harsh, especially since contributors Jessica Ritz and Margy Rochlin, and of course Jonathan Gold, are respected and knowledgeable members of the food writing community in L.A. I hate to think that Twittering is killing blogging, but it does seem to have wounded it a bit. I'm always happy to have another voice out there, so all I'll say for now is that I don't find the Weekly's standard blog template very appealing. Have you checked out Squid Ink? Do you think blogs are over and Twitter won?

6 comments:

glutster said...

Blog until I die.

SinoSoul said...

The Squid Ink link should be http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/index.xml

That link works for RSS feed as well. So far, it's kinda.. *snore*

marissa said...

I think you mean Jessica Ritz, not Jessica Gelt. Ritz has been writing for the LA Weekly for awhile, and Gelt is at the LA Times.

H. C. said...

Like restaurant openings, I'll hold my judgment until it settles in a little. Besides, I think right now it's a bit Passover-heavy so I'll give it a look when it's less holiday-dominated.

santos. said...

if you look at the food blogs started as an extension of established print media--new york magazine, NYT, the guardian--or commercial "straight reportage" food blogs like eater, a lot of them were created c. 2006. there's nothing innovative about weekly's blog--if anything it seems like they are taking away content from their v. good food/dining section, and not adding anything. all the passover posts could have gone into a really good, really informative article that could be referenced in one go. and why take "ask mr. gold" out of the general food section? although a quick scan of this week's section shows every single byline is jonathan gold. is the blog just a place to throw all their other writers? hopefully the writing/content will evolve into something with more character.

twitter won't kill blogs unless people can't handle more than 140 characters (how depressing). bad or boring blogs will kill blogs.

Unknown said...

what should a good food blog contain according to you? I am a food writer from an India newspaper and have recently taking to blogging; check out http://indiafoodandtravelguide.com). I find myself wondering all the time whether my posts should be different in style and content from what I do in the newspaper...