Thursday, July 14, 2005

Auntie Em's, again

I once went on a date with a guy who was new to town, and when I told him I lived in Silver Lake, he said, "Oh yeah, I went there once, and I was trying to drive on Sunset on a Saturday morning, and I got caught in some kind of hipster melee. I'll never go back." Well, even though it's my hood, sometimes I know what he means, especially if I want breakfast on a weekend. I like the spinach and pine-nut scrambled eggs at Millie's, but I'm not really interested in standing on the sidewalk in the blazing sun waiting for them. So when we need something super tasty for breakfast, these days it's often off to Auntie Em's in Eagle Rock. It seems silly to drive for 10 minutes when I could walk to Say Cheese, the Coffee Table or several other places, but there's something very satisfying about pulling up and parking right in front of Auntie Em's and then ordering at the counter right way. It's also very satisfying to eat a plate of eggs, Cajun sausage and french bread, or the decadent crispy French toast which is probably deep-fried, but who cares. I was trying to find something slightly less damaging to the arteries this time, so I had the scrambled eggs with portobello mushrooms and grilled red peppers.

The wheat toast with poppy seeds was really nice, too. I still haven't had lunch here, but I'll get to it. And bravo to the young woman who ordered coffee and two cupcakes, then sat at an outside table and powered through both cupcakes in 15 minutes flat. Can you say sugar headrush?
More on Auntie Em's Marketplace here.
More on Auntie Em's cupcakes here and here and here.
Auntie Em's Kitchen
4616 Eagle Rock Blvd.
Eagle Rock
(323) 255-0800

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently went to Em's for the first time - and for lunch. Definitely try the steak sandwich -HUGE!! Has a horseradish spread that makes it all the better! They also have a bottled iced tea called Pure (or something like that) that is so good. Can't wait to go back for breakfast!!

Anonymous said...

Im a huge fan of John O'groats on Pico at Beverly Glen. Their fresh cantaloupe juice with mango macadamia nut pancakes and a buttermilk biscuit is a perfect way to start the morning.

John O'Groats
(310) 204-0692
10516 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Anonymous said...

we went for the market dinner night. it was so much fun, and really good food. can't wait till the next.

Anonymous said...

I went for lunch, it was awful! The 'cobb salad' was missing ingredients, like oh, the bleu cheese and the bacon (which were it's included ingredients listed on the menu board)! After complaining about this to the staff, an overly bored staffer came and gave an unappetizing side dish of the cheese. No bacon though.
The tables were dirty and left un-bussed for the entire time we were there. Yuk. I would suggest avoiding.

Anonymous said...

I love Auntie Em's. I think the staff is hip and fun. The food is to die for! I especially love their desserts. I live close by and actually use them for most of the parties I have because they do a great job of catering. Personally, the only thing I don't like is their french toaste. Too decadent for me and I am one of those people that can eat two of their cup cakes while sitting outside sipping on my diet coke. My friends all love their red velvet cupcake. Me, I'll eat the blondie for dessert. I will usually grab a few containers of their frozen soup for those days I don't feel like cooking.