Monday, February 15, 2010

Forage: Everybody goes to Sunset Junction

Forage is just about what been wishing for in Silver Lake restaurant: Informal, fresh, local and healthy. But be careful what you wish for: You might get it, but not be able to afford to eat there as often as you would like. It's only been open about two weeks, but thanks to Facebook, Twitter and blogs, it seems like practically everyone has already been in to try it.
I was excited that Forage was planning to offer locally-sourced foods; even better, chef Jason Kim will accept food from your yard and incorporate it into the dishes. (Drop by on Sunday afternoons with your produce; don't just show up with it at dinner time.)
One friend of mine even thought you had to bring your own food, and was worried that her garden only held a few stalks of arugula at the moment. But don't worry, it's really not a requirement to come bearing smogfruit, as we call our urban lemons.The only protein at lunch was roasted chicken, which I eat way too much of already, so I tried the quiche with two vegetable dishes. Everyone else was getting the pork belly sandwich ($9.50), which sounds decadent, but I had to repent after a deli special banh mi the day before.
Everything was bursting with flavor -- the bite of bitter arugula paired with bright citrus and beets; long-roasted fennel slicked with plenty of olive oil; a quiche packed with flavorful greens and a flaky crust. We also tried an equally flaky cheese straw and tabbouleh-style quinoa. Baked goods look wonderful too, especially a savory beet green tart and sticky toffee pudding.
At dinner, there's more to choose from, including scalloped potatoes, Heirloom beans, meatballs and pork enchiladas. ($9.75) All this deliciousness comes at a fairly high price, at least for lunch -- $13 for chicken and two sides, $10.50 for three sides, $20 for a roast Jidori chicken to take home.
Forage is closed Monday and open 11-3 for lunch and 5-9 for dinner Tues.-Sun.

Pros: Good selection of vegetable dishes, everything perfectly cooked.
Pleasant folks.
Blue Bottle Coffee!
Cons: No iced tea at lunch, one of my pet peeves at lunch places.
My friend wants me to add "No Equal for coffee."
$2.75 coffee served in paper cups.

Forage
3823 W. Sunset Blvd.
Silver Lake
(323) 663-6885

Forage on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat..I tried Forage last week after terrible dental surgery early in the day...meaning, I was in a terrible mood and had to eat gingerly. I ordered the Niman meatballs with grilled bread, scalloped potatoes and bread pudding (it was a *really bad day) I thought i would just pick a little ...not finish everything...well I *Did finish everything...it was all delicious..the meatballs so well seasoned served with marinara..the scalloped potatoes were garlicky and flavorful..not at all like mom's bland version..and the bread pudding..not something i usually go for was incredible..thinly sliced bagette bread with just a smear of nutella along the bottom.

lynn @ the actors diet said...

this place sounds terrific - i haven't heard of it yet!

Food, she thought. said...

Smogfruit! LMAO. I have a treefull and use them in my cooking almost daily. I have been wanting to get there desperately. Thank goodness I don't drink coffee anymore. $2.75? Who do they think they are, LAMill?

H. C. said...

Thanks for the initial early report! Been meaning to try Forage myself; the prices remind me of M Cafe de Chaya, except with actual meat served!

SinoSoul said...

Yes but FST, that's BLUE BOTTLE COFFEE they're serving. I think. P can clarify?

Clare said...

I like the concept and am interested in trying...will have to try and get there in the next two weeks.

mattatouille said...

I don't find the offering of Blue Bottle to be that great. I don't think I've ever had a cup of it I enjoyed - roasted too strongly and usually made with too much ground coffee. Maybe they serve it differently here. Though I told you in person, I think the food at Forage is just fine, but it's overpriced for what you get. I left still hungry, even though we spent about $13 a person. I do think they should up the protein offerings from roasted chicken and grilled steak. The vegetables were well cooked, but I think most of the food there is stuff I can competently make at home. Doesn't mean there isn't a place for Forage, just means it doesn't fit into my needs.

Anonymous said...

Actually ... you ate protien too if the quiche you ate was made with eggs? So, it wasn't just the chicken!

anonymous said...

Great Food. All organic. BUT, left my jacket there, remembered after 5 minutes, went back and it was gone. NO ONE there seemed to have any idea what happened. After paying $35 for lunch, real restaurant prices, you would think they'd have some idea. I can't say for certain what happened but leaves a bad taste in my mouth; whoever took it, it's surprising such a hipster place, both customers and employees---I guess it's just cool at Forage to steal.