Saturday, March 31, 2007

Quick bite: Vito's Pizza


Oh Vito, why La Cienega? Why did you leave us? Los Feliz's loss is West Hollywood's gain as Vito's Pizza reopens shoehorned into a soul-less La Cienega mini-mall -- albeit with easy parking. I wasn't even that hungry when I had a minute to duck out of the office Friday, but I still hadn't gotten to Vito's since it re-opened. After getting a slice of the white pizza and a slice of Terra Firma (peppers, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, etc.), I sank my teeth into the crust of the white pizza and immediately understood what all the buzz was about. It's not exactly like a John's New York pizza, but the crust just tastes better than anything in L.A. A nice chew, not very well-done -- no Mozza-esque char -- just a pure bready taste with the proper amount of salt. The white pie with blobs of ricotta is a lovely thing, but I think I'd like to get a whole pizza fresh out of the oven to really experience Vito's. The pies come only in large size, though, starting at $16.50 for a cheese and rising precipitously to $32.50 for one with arugula, proscuitto, gorgonzola and pine nuts. Vito's also has baked ziti, eggplant parmesan, calzones, etc., but why would you devitate from the pizza?
Vito's Pizza
846 N. La Cienega Blvd.
(310) 652-6859

5 comments:

my little apartment said...

I always have to throw in my two cents whenever the Great Pizza Debate comes up...
I was a die-hard Damianos fan, and still am, but I dont go west of La Brea unless I have to...Since moving to Highland Park and falling in love with the neighborhood, I've also fallen head over heels for Casa Bianca (duh) and the rarely-mentioned Follieros (Fig and 54-ish). If you like a big, thin NY style pizza but with a pillow-y super doughy crust, you'd love Folliero's. I've had to get used to their canned mushrooms but everything else has been just perfect! I also like that the whole Italian family works behind the counter and the pies are WAY cheap! i can get a medium with mushroom and pineapple for under $10.

Anyone else a fan?

Anonymous said...

I HATE Casa Bianca...cracker crust with cornmeal beads = gross. It reminds me of a crappy pizza you would get at a county fair. Hard Times is by far the best pizza in LA, but your description of Follieros sounds like its right on the money. I am going to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish Hard Times still merited mention. The Cam-man grew up on it (he had a "usual" there, as soon as he could muster a pair of opposing teeth: thin-crust cheese slice, heated only to little-kid temp., cut into 1" squares, and a round bottle of Martinelli's), and as a h.s. freshman,I'm told he occasionally got the crew to swap him some quick clean up work for a less-than new slice,

BUT now they've changed hands three or four times, they've fiddled with the menu and the recipes, and they just AIN'T anything like consistently good, any more.

Why oh why couldn't WE get Vito's into S.L., instead of another bleedin' Pinkberry!?!

Anonymous said...

Good pizza! Not as good as it was on vermont or as cheap. Read the reviews & was happy to hear it reopened so I went by & a slice with 2 toppings came close to $4?? This is thin pizza & you need 2 or 3 slices to get by $12 & I was still hungry & thats without a drink! The rent must be out of this world?? $30+ for a pizza to go?? Ran into Vito in the parking lot (couldnt find a spot, parked 3 blocks away)& waived hello. He looked at me as if to say what the fuck do you want! Same old Vito.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blogsite. I also love Vito's pizza and go there from Santa Monica once a month. You mentioned "why deviate from the pizza", which I can understand, except that he also makes the best eggplant parmigiana sandwich, not to mention the meatball. and top it off with a great canoli. Vito's is indeed a little more than just great pizza.