Sunday, December 03, 2006

Taste test: the Taco Zone truck

Even though in the last few weeks, I've been fortunate enough to try some wonderful things like the butterscotch budino pudding at Mozza and the citrus-caramel French toast at Square One, I'd have to say that the best thing I've eaten lately has got to be a $1.25 carnitas taco at the Taco Zone truck. I've been meaning to get to this truck probably for a year or so, but for some reason I never seem to be around Echo Park after 7 pm when the truck arrives on Alvarado just north of Sunset, next to the Von's parking lot. Last night I finally made it there after Kathy and I had a drink at Pete's Downtown. Blazing hot from the grill, crunchy and charred around the edges, rather salty but not overly so, a touch greasy, yet not dripping with grease -- it's a perfect package, and one that demands being immediately doused with the nice selection of incendiary salsa and consumed standing up next to the truck. Taco Zone is there until 3 am on weekends and 2 on weeknights, so it's a must stop on the way back from Downtown or Echo Park.

10 comments:

Allison said...

i think their tacos are great, too! always a big crowd. but is it called tacos al domicilio or taco zone?

Pat Saperstein said...

It's called Taco Zone on the front. I think "Tacos al domicilio" is just a descriptive phrase meaning something like "We'll come to your location." In which case they should definitely come park in front of my house.

Anonymous said...

You're close - "taquizas al domicilio" means they'll provide a taquiza, or taco bar, at your home - in other words, you can hire them to cater your next party!

Miles said...

Are they better than the tacos at Villa de Corona in Atwater? I know I obsess about the place, but, seriously, those tacos are so good.

Anonymous said...

ever since the guy with the stand down alvarado disappeared (the one by santa ynez, not the one with the tent in the garage parking lot...), taco zone is the best spot i know in echo park. i always go with al pastor & carne asada, but i'll take your recommendation next time i go and try the carnitas.

Anonymous said...

I've been tracing your blogs... first I went to mozza the other night and on my way home yesterday I stopped at this taco stand... I live in Silverlake. They are good...

Anonymous said...

I am living near Echo Park and the Taco Zone truck is one of my favorite cheap meals. I have been to many a Mexican restaurant and this is what I consider one of the best meals.

Unknown said...

Yes, this one is a favorite of mine too. On Sundays only, the street west and parallel to Echo Park St., I believe its that one or the next, also has amazing carne asada tacos. It is just a couple of older women, set up shop in front of a house. At first glance, it looks like a private house grill... but, no, they serve tacos for a buck or so. Really good!

Anonymous said...

tacos arizas (logan & sunset) isn't shabby either. echo park is lucky :)

Anonymous said...

At the Zone, I'd have to say the de rigeur taco is the suadero, which is some sort of breast/rib briskety meat. Crispy, fatty, carbonized little pellets that make the sun come up on your tongue at 2AM.

The ladies of the Zone are like minor saints, blessing us all with suadero.