Monday, September 06, 2010

Cookbook: Echo Park's new greengrocer features Zuni Cookbook this week

Happy shopper Beth with her Cookbook purchases

Cookbook is a charming little grocery that pretty much puts the seal on the gentrification of Echo Park. Owned by Marta Teegan, who is a gardener, chef and author, Cookbook is a greengrocer with a small but careful selection of organic fruits and vegetables, but it's much more than just produce: despite its small size, there's a smattering of all the things you've suddenly remember you needed.
A sweet idea: branches of Oregon blackberries for a vase
Of course exquisitely-selected foodstuffs don't come at Trader Joe's prices, but the prices seem fair for the quality. I managed to spend $40 in a heartbeat, but I came home with a full bag of olive oil, red wine vinegar, Maldon salt, aged gouda, a deeply flavored cantaloupe, a bass confit on walnut bread sandwich and a baguette baked by the folks at HeirloomLA, who also supply lasagna cupcakes, fresh pasta and sauce, cold salads and other prepared foods. 
A small but excellent selection of cheeses and butters
It's not easy to find decent bread on the east side of town, but Heirloom recently added a baker to help supply the businesses like Cookbook who need a better source of bread. 
Olive oil in bulk is reasonably priced (just don't leave it in a hot car - the cork might pop)
Each week, Teegen will choose a cookbook, and Heirloom will prepare dishes from the cookbook. This week: Zuni Cookbook.
A good selection of vegetables and herbs

Everything is impeccably sourced: Coffee comes from San Francisco's Sightglass, eggs from Teegen's favorite egg farm in Paso Robles, Strauss creamery milk, Dr. Bob's ice cream, Morning Glory brittle. I like that Cookbook is a local business that encourages people to actually cook instead of just buying coffee and cupcakes -- in fact I think every neighborhood could use a store like this. A Cookbook next to McCall's Meat and Fish, for example, would be the perfect combo!
Cookbook
1549 Echo Park Ave.
Open daily 8 am - 8 pm

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took a tomato growing class from Marta-I learned a lot and have a great crop this year, thanks in part to her tips. I wish I lived closer to her shop, I'd be in every day-I hope it thrives. We need more places like this.

Barbara said...

Unfortunately, my tiny budget won't allow me to be a frequent customer (maybe a twice-a-year splurge), but
I'm certainly happy to see this shop in the neighborhood and wish them the greatest of success.

brad said...

Check out my Cleveland Food and Brews Blog at

http://clevelandfoodandbrews.blogspot.com/

Also...become a fan on facebook.
Clevland Food and Brews Reviews!

Susan J. Beavers said...

Its cool to see so many great ingredients in one place! I wish Echo Park was closer! It would def help with my Joy of COoking food blog!

Anonymous said...

Quality ingredients in one place! Excellent! I wish Echo Park was closer as well. I live in greater LA... my only options ARE Trader Joe's and some local farmers' markets

Charles G Thompson said...

Another cool neighborhood place to check out that I didn't know about. Looks like a place I'll like a lot. Thanks!