Sunday, May 04, 2008

El Prado pours heady brews in Echo Park


It seems like just a little while ago I was complaining that L.A. had a terrible beer selection, that Father's Office is all well and good for Westsiders but where can near-Eastsiders get a decent beer? Then the York opened and then Verdugo, not to mention Lucky Devils and Pure Luck. Now Echo Park has lucked out with El Prado. So far, due to a series of licensing mishaps that befell the old El Prado, it's beer only. Seriously. If you don't want beer, there's water. And apples. But it's darn good beer, dispensed from eight austere brass taps behind a long wooden bar by a few charming beermaids. If you like hops, there's San Diego's Green Flash IPA. If you're kind of a lightweight when it comes to heavy hops or strong ale, there's Affligem, which is lighter and fruity and yet nuanced and flavorful. Even nicer, there's a few snackies to help the beer go down, like quail eggs with dukkah seasoning and cured short ribs. When the license gets straightened out, there might be wine. For now, it's open Thursday-Sunday after 8 or so, with a fairly uniform clientele of heavily bearded guys and girls with cute haircuts, all under 32 or so. Rejoice, Eastside, your hops are finally here.
El Prado
1805 W. Sunset Blvd., Echo Park

11 comments:

paul bailey said...

haven't been to echo park for some time. good to have another great bar for the rotation. what is the address?

bwt.. another big vote for the verdugo! best beer on tap selection in across the 5.

Anonymous said...

8 beers, open for a few hours 3 days a week.
Why effin' even bother opening at all?

my little apartment said...

because they can, anonymous, because they can.

Anonymous said...

Wow, anonymous. I dont think you would do too well in Europe. Not everything has to be open 7 days a week, like 7 eleven. I respect small businesses that balance what they want to do with $$$$$$.

Anonymous said...

It's important to note that the menu is always somewhat in flux. I've noticed a few different selections of beers when I've gone, as well a variety of different snacks offered each night. So you never really know what you are going to get, which I think is fun. Also they play records, which is a huge plus in my book. It's a great little neighborhood place.

66 Productions said...

What I don't get is why all the new places seem to be largely stocking the same old brews as everyone else. Where's the experimentation? How come no one carries Reaper Ale? What about Bison Brewing Company? Lengthwise from up in Bakersfield has some really good brews. And how about Speakeasy for that matter? So few places are actually being original in their stock that it makes going to Father's Office from NELA an appealing idea.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, brother. I would love to see Speakeasy on tap. And I'd probably cream my pants if I ever found Sleighor DIPA on tap.

Big ups to Verdugo. Worth the travel from the westside.

Anonymous said...

66,
Same old beers? Please tell me where else in Echo Bark (you've got a dog, right?) you can get Delerium, Chouffe, Bernardus, Green Flash IPA, etc...maybe you are thinking of "Good" in Silverlake, which I think is over-priced with an awesome selection.
Dave, I agree that Verdugo is cool. An even BETTER selection, but why do the draft beers come in a glass that appears to be 10 oz.? I'm done before it had time to warm a bit and open up...buy two at once next time I suppose.
Haven't been to El Prado yet, just found out they have Belgian beer instead of Corona/Tecate. I would go right now, but I'm drinking a Chamomile Abbey-style Tripel I made at home...and it's too hot to wear pants...ok, I'll put the pants on and go. See you all there!

Anonymous said...

The Library Bar downtown has a good beer selection, for eastsiders looking for some variety. It's cozy and the bartenders are really cool and friendly.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see a pre party spot across from the echo and Explex. Doesn't say too much of their beer knowledge that they list St. Bernardus and Le Chouffe as if there is only one kind of each. But props for carrying anything either brewery is putting out.
Yes Verdugo's servings are too small for the price.

Dont forget Honey Blonde and Double IPA from Firestone across the street at Masa.

Justin said...

El Prado is among the worst bars I have ever had the displeasure of attending. Uninspired beer selection paired with yuckmouth cheeses. The dipshits behind the bar vacillate between completely ignorant of their product to completely ignoring the clientele. They DO play records, but on one of the worst sound systems in Los Angeles. I literally piss on this bar!