Thursday, June 01, 2006

Farmer's Market: Singapore Banana Leaf


The thing about Farmer's Market is that there are lots of stands with decent renditions of their specialty, and hardly any that are the absolute best example of that food (Littlejohn's English Toffee being one exception).

mee goreng with tofu
But I don't care, because I love Singapore's Banana Leaf anyway, even though I've had better beef rendang at Indo Cafe in West L.A. Their mee goreng (fried noodles) remind me of the ones I had in dining cars chugging across Malaysia, and their gado gado (tofu, green bean and potato salad with peanut dressing) makes me think of the first time I tried the dish in a tiny warung in Jogjakarta. I like the fruity, refreshing rojak salad on a hot day, and the steamy laksa soup brimming with curry-scented coconut broth, rice noodles, chicken and tofu on a cold winter evening.
4 carts

4 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Pat!
Thanks so much for reviewing the restaurants at the Farmers Market. Since I live nearby, I eat at the FM at least twice, sometimes 3 times a week.

I've come to the conclusion that most of the restaurants are adequate but not that great. However, the atmosphere of the FM keeps me coming back.

Looking forward to more reviews!

Anonymous said...

the only ones we goto @ FM :

++++++ Singapore banana leaf *YUM*
+++ that argentinian grill (rarely bcos expensive)
++ the crepe place

tried the rest but these are my picks.

Anonymous said...

You've been to Yogyakarta? That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

hi,

just discovered your blog.. love it.
and how -as a foodie- can I not ? :)

as for the Singapore Banana Leaf... it's quite good. I am half Indonesian myself and live in LA.
Used to give Indonesian cooking classes and am now finding out if there is any enthousiasm for this :)

Keep up the good work of your blog, love it !!