Friday, June 30, 2006

Bacony goodness at R Bakery

One good thing about buying a car that only has a dealership in Santa Monica is that you're forced to procure nourishment before the arduous lease-signing process. In my case, this called for a late morning stop at Hans Rockenwagner's R Bakery in sort of Mar Vista/Marina del Rey. It's a small place with umbrella tables out front and a few sandwiches in the cold case along with a nice selection of bread, scones, tarts and interesting hybrids. My dough-loving daughter and I sampled the pretzel roll, which was like a shiny new Volkswagon beetle -- round and adorable. These would be perfect with a roast chicken and some luscious gravy to soak up with the salty/sweet roll. We also tried a large sourdough boule, which was kind of the Infiniti SUV of breads -- substantial, ovoid, stylishly soft. OK, maybe I'm taking this metaphor too far, but my favorite item, the bacon cheese stick, was much like the Subaru Outback wagon I selected -- chewy, a bit earthy, slim, yet substantial. At R Bakery, none of the baked goods look cloyingly sweet, which I think is great as I'm more of a savory type. There's several toothsome looking cheese/jalapeno/bacon type croissants, muffins and scones with lots of different fruits and nuts, and good coffee, too. Just as well that I probably won't get back until it's time for the 15,000 mile maintenance.
R Bakery
12835 Washington Blvd.
MarVista
(310) 578-8171

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys enjoyed it!! P and I are moving out of a place right behind it! This week we need to get our farewell Cheese and Bacon Scone... Hmmmm.... :)

--Dommy!