Friday, May 05, 2006

Weekend news

I know, it doesn't seem like I've been eating much lately...well, I've been eating plenty, but mostly at places I've already written about like The King's Head, Malo, etc. I promise, more reviews coming soon. In the meantime...

The Original Pantry Cafe will be dry no longer, according to Chowhound poster Surfside Chef. He says former mayor Richard Riordan is converting the Pantry's next-door cafe into a New York-style bar, which should be a convenient stop for Staples Center crowds. Guess it's not as hard to get a full liquor license if you used to be the mayor...

And Doughboys is coming to Hollywood -- hopefully in July. The location is likely to be on Highland near Ammo. This is welcome news, because more sourdough semolina waffles with cherry compote and mascarpone cheese can only be a good thing.

Tiger Lily is now open in the old Hollywood Hills Coffee Shop space on Vermont, offering an Indian and Asian-influenced menu and tapas. The website says the space is "perfect for speed dating parties." Whatever...

4 comments:

The Dabbler said...

And here's some GREAT news. Pinkberry (a frozen yogurt shop) will soon be opening a branch on Larchmont, a few doors up from Baskin Robbins where the sad Cafe Chapeau used to be. This is about the best addition to the food landscape of this neighborhood that I could ever think of.

Anonymous said...

Re: Tiger Lily

I'm hoping, with shrinking expectations, that this place will have snappy food, rather than being a "scene" with over-priced bar snacks. The website (including the music), and the $4 edamame have me worried.

r gould-saltman

Erin S. said...

Also re: tiger lily--not sure you need to worry about a "scene"--this place has unfortunately been EMPTY ever since it opened--it looks nice inside, but as I walk home every night past it's doors, the host stands by the front door, looking hungrily at each passer-by.

Anonymous said...

I'm with S. Bodhisattva on the Tiger Lily predictions...I go in with high hopes, but have been consistently let downn by the overpriced-bar-snack restaurant (Minibar, Bodega, etc, etc).