Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wayne Thiebaud: Cupcakes with no calories

I love the deli salads in "Food Counter" (2005.)

If you like a little art with your food once in a while, don't miss the Wayne Thiebaud retrospective to Jan. 31 at the Pasadena Museum of California Art. Seeing his iconic cupcakes reproduced in print is nothing like the real thing: Thiebaud's thick, dimensional strokes and vibrant colors should be seen in person. We met the 88 year-old Sacramento and San Francisco-based painter at a reception last week catered, of course, by Auntie Em's cupcakes.
Feeling a cupcake craving after the show? Try Auntie Em's, Dot's Cupcakes in two Pasadena locations, or Violet's Cakes.

3 comments:

L.A. Story said...

You had me at cupcake.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I took my kids for their Thiebaud craft day and it was awesome. It MUST be seen in person.

Anonymous said...

I had great time at the benefit event. THiebaud was awesome! I have been back to the museum see the exhibitions 3 times already, and I am going again this weekend! Not sure when will be the next time to see this many of his great works together again.