Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Farmer's Market cookbook with a twist

Most farmer's market cookbooks feature recipes made with fresh fruits and vegetables. But L.A.'s Original Farmers Market Cookbook: Meet Me at 3rd and Fairfax, by JoAnn Cianculli, features recipe from nearly all the stalls at the original Farmer's Market at Third and Fairfax. I stopped by the opening preview Thursday night, which included tastes from throughout the market, like tri-color mole chilequiles from Loteria and Neal Fraser's braised lamb with garbanzo beans at Marconda Meats (below).
Want to recreate the Gumbo Pot's seafood gumbo and corn muffins, or Singapore Banana Leaf's mee goreng? Want to find out how Nancy Silverton makes her burger blend with meat from Huntington Meats? The book also includes lots of history for the 75th anniversary of the market. Did you know that Bob's Donuts is owned by Bob Tusquellas of Tusquella's Seafood? I never did until now. Also, 326 Beer & Wine is featuring a custom 75th anniversary draft beer right now that's not bad at all.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Ohhh! So that's what was goin' on at the F. Mkt. when I was there on Thursday for my Stitch 'n Bitch meet-up!! I was wondering who all of these people with plastic plasts were!

Too bad you didn't come upstairs to say hi!

The cookbook sounds interesting. Thanks!

Pat Saperstein said...

Hi Ellen,
Actually I did stumble on some knitters but you must not have arrived yet! I thought of you while I was writing this.