Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Josef Centeno resurfaces at Pasadena's Bar Celona


After the debacle that was Lot 1 in Echo Park, which is regrouping with a less gourmet, less expensive menu, Josef Centeno has revamped the menu at Bar Celona in Old Town Pasadena, helping the tapas spot return to its Spanish roots. I'm going to a tasting next week, and I'm looking forward to trying dishes like crispy eggplant with honey and spiced yogurt; Spanish flatbreads with Romesco, pine nuts, manchego, grilled apple and arugula and main dishes like roast duck breast with beluga lentils, anise spiced pear and sweet-sour strawberries and Tasmanian ocean trout with lima beans and gooseberries. Not to mention the bitter chocolate mousse with Spanish sea salt and olive oil. Bar Celona is also open for lunch and has a full bar and new cocktails.

2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Interesting. I've never been impressed by Bar Celona. I hope Centeno's new touch helps.

JustinM said...

I agree. The sandwiches on the lunch menu are decent, but the tapas I have had there have mostly been tiny portions of flavorless food.