Wednesday, August 13, 2008

News bites: Palate, Panda, beer and more

Skillet airstream food truck in Seattle

Glendale is smokin' hot. Never really thought I'd say that, but S. Irene agrees. Not too surprisingly, she loved Palate Food & Wine. I'm glad I snagged a weekend rezzie yesterday before this came out. This place is one of the few restaurants that's been good since it's very first week -- here's my review from May.

And also in Glendale: People see Panda Express as "healthy," "with real flavor" and with "lots of vegetables," according to the L.A. Times article Panda Express Thrives on Orange Chicken. Although a serving of orange chicken has about the same fat and calories as a Big Mac, actually I'd take the orange chicken too. But did you know the 1,100 store chain started as the Panda Inn in Pasadena with the first outlet in the Glendale Galleria in 1983?

Almost in Glendale: Atwater's 55 Degrees is doing a Belgian beer flight Sunday Aug. 17 from 5-9:30 pm for $18 for five beers. Call 323-662-5556 for reservations.

And Details magazine visits gourmet and oldschool food carts and trucks around the country in the story A Street Cart Named Desire, including Highland Park's El Pique taco truck. The ones in Portland, Seattle and New York are pretty snaz...

1 comment:

Jeff Massie said...

If I had to choose between a Big Mac and Panda Inn orange chicken, I'd kill myself.