Monday, April 16, 2007

Jonathan Gold scores the Pulitzer

Congratulations on winning the first-ever Pulitzer prize for food criticism to L.A.'s own Jonathan Gold, who extols taco trucks and Korean offal as well ...if not better...than he describes top tier restaurants. The Pulitzer committee cited his "zestful, wide ranging restaurant reviews, expressing the delight of an erudite eater."
Not to diminish the award at all, but it probably didn't hurt that two of the Criticism jury members, film critic and Pulitzer winner Joe Morgenstern and USC's Sasha Anawalt are based in L.A. I've been a fan for a very long time...in fact, I recently unearthed a handwritten letter Jonathan sent me in the late '80s, recommending I try some barbecued pig uterus. Way to go, JG and the L.A. Weekly!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you ever get around to trying the pig uterus?

Pat Saperstein said...

Good question! I believe the pig uterus in question was available at the Pomona Sanamluang, but not the Hollywood one. But actually, pig uterus could be sitting on my doorstep and I'd probably still be too chicken to try it.

Anna said...

...um, not to be too offensive, but I'm betting that hot dog you're about to enjoy in your avatar picture had at least a smidge of pig uterus...

(having said that, I get hungry for a well-dressed dog like that one every time I see it!)

oh, and my congrats to Gold, also! (not to mention these five pounds I've been trying to lose forever!)

Anna said...

a(oops...skipped three words there)

"(not to mention MY THANKS FOR these five pounds...)"