Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Waiter, is that a pubic hair in my soup?

LA.com reports on a new reality show, "Naked Catering" which will shoot an episode with naked waiters at Miyagi's on Valentine's Day...Apparently tickets are still available, but I think the only thing worse than having to go to Miyagi's, drunken frat boy central of the Sunset Strip, on Valentine's Day, would be going to Miyagi's while various body parts flapped near your face while you place your order.

Food find of the week: Trader Joe's chili-spiced dried mango. If you like spicy snacks, I defy you to make a package of this last more than a few days. If you don't like spicy snacks, then send some to me.

Nice story on street food of Ghana in the New York Times. Answer to Chowhound poster: No, I'm pretty sure there isn't any street food from Ghana available in L.A. Nor are there any Bukharian restaurants, as far as I know. Well, we can't have everything. I wonder what are the most unusual cuisines or regions represented in L.A.? Here's a few cuisines which are sorely lacking around here: Turkish, Portuguese, New Mexico-style food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Uzbekistan Restaurant, on Sunset at LaBrea, does serve almost all of the dishes served at the kosher Bukhara-style restaurants in Brooklyn. There may be a few stylistic differences - the owner and chef are, or at least were, from Tashkent - but in the long run, plov is plov.

Anonymous said...

"Waiter, is that a pubic hair in my soup?"

"Shhhh... keep it down or everyone will want one."

Pat Saperstein said...

Thanks, Jonathan! Actually, I recommended Uzbekistan to the poster on Chowhound.

Anonymous said...

I think TJ's is having a hard time keeping the mangos from getting stale -- but you can count on many corner bodegas to do the chili-mango snacks right. They're entirely addictive.

Anonymous said...

I was searching online and I found your blog, good job.

http://www.all-about-health.net/

peripheral neuropathy stiffness

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following Shampoo Blog, it is cool to!