Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Ask Eating L.A.: Huckleberries and Farrell's

Here's an Ask Eating L.A. doubleheader.
Aaron Rowe asks
, "Several top restaurants, including Campanile, use huckleberries seasonally in their desserts. Where can I get them in L.A.? I have tried the farmers markets in Santa Monica and Calabasas."
Eating L.A. says: Aaron, just a few weeks ago, uber-Chowhound JudiAU reported seeing them at the Hollywood Farmers market from the wild mushroom guy. She eats them with cream skimmed off the top of raw milk. Sounds fantastic. I have to say, I've never had a huckleberry -- a type of Californian native wild blueberry -- but I'll definitely see if he still has them.

And native Valley boy Jeff asks, "Are there any Farrell's ice cream parlors left? I need to order a Zoo."
Eating L.A. says: As a non-Valley dude, my childhood ice cream memories run more to Wil Wright's and Blum's. But I remember my friends talking about the wonders of birthday parties at Farrell's, where they would ring a bell and run around the table if you ordered the massive Zoo ice cream concoction.
Anyway, Jeff, apparently there is a sort of nouveau-Farrell's at a giant miniature golf amusement extravaganza called Mountasia in Santa Clarita. If bumper boats aren't your thing, there are also two Farrell's locations in San Diego. Pig's trough, here we come!


Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I went to that Farrell's at Mountasia a few years ago -- it is nothing like the original restaurant that you probably remember. It's inside a big noisy room where everyone is playing games, mostly kids. The Farrell's itself is more like a fast food counter than a restaurant. We were very disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about fast food

tom naka said...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some delivery restaurant research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work! check out delivery restaurant

Anonymous said...

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down" - I also think I must be lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him on the golf course yesterday. Now this is strange because usually I see him in the supermarket.

Honest really, last time I saw him there he was right in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new lcd tv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a lcd tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger.

Then I'm gonna go home, put ma dancin' suit on, munch me some uppers and freak out to that maaaaaaaaad surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on ma lcd tv .

How cool is that boy?

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

Anonymous said...

Stop by and have a look at miniature golf

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this golf course philadelphia golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

Clickbank Mall said...

Come Visit Santa at his blog and tell him what you want for Christmas,

Hoodia said...

Hi: Interesting blog. I’ll save it in my favorites. I too have a blog about San Diego downtown condos <. Through this site you can view every San Diego mls listing offered for sale. Another new site is about San Diego vacation attractions< Our third site is, guess what? Yes, also about San Diego. This site is an information site devoted to San Diego cosmetic surgery doctors<. Needless to say, please stop by and visit our sites. Thanks Bob

All about Golf said...

Hi Thanks for your interesting blog. I also have a blog/site, covering golf solitaire related stuff. Feel free to visit my golf solitaire site.

San Diego plastic surgery doctors said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

Very informative blog. I found everything I needed here. Great content! golf equipment manufacturer

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Rods information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!