Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Suriyo becomes Bulan Thai: more vegetarian for Silver Lake

Bulan Thai Vegetarian, at Santa Monica and Manzanita in Silver Lake

Suriyo Thai hung on for a few years in the funny-shaped building at the end of Santa Monica Blvd. that long ago housed the first Puran's. I was never as big a fan as my friends over at Budget Film who ordered lunch from there often -- I prefer Mae Ploy and Nadpob for Thai in Silver Lake. Anyway, the location is staying Thai but losing the meat to become Bulan Thai, an offshoot of the popular vegetarian spot on Melrose. I guess it's time to embrace the vegetables, as I've heard this is one of the best of the many veggie Thai places around town. Bulan Silver Lake opens Friday the 13th -- hopefully this is a lucky day in Thailand.

4 comments:

HerbyN said...

well... count me in with the folks at Budget Film... i like Suriyo a lot and i'm not a veggie (not that there is anything wrong with that) so i'll be in search of an alternative that matched Suiyo's price points. wa.

Anonymous said...

I'm not veggie either but I love Bulan (Mae Ploy is so-so, and TG Express is only edible at 4am when you're wasted). Good to know there will now be decent Thai on the east side...if I ever go there again!

Anonymous said...

OOOooohhhh, I totally forgot that my FAVORITE THAI in LA is on the east side: Simply Thai on Hillhurst. Apologies to ST and their delicious drunken noodles.

d-kat said...

oh - another vegan thai place. big deal?