Thursday, June 12, 2008

NELA: Coffee comes and coffee goes

Our Northeast L.A. tipster Billy Boy writes that a new fair trade coffeehouse will take over the insurance office next to Johnny's bar on York Ave. at Ave. 50. Construction is already underway -- yay, you can never have too much coffee.

Conversely, the LA Eastside blog reports that El Sereno's much-loved Antigua Cultural Coffeehouse is being evicted, although they're planning a new Cypress Park location. I'm not sure if El Sereno is considered Northeast L.A., but I'm sure someone will let me know pronto if it's not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

El Sereno borders South Pasadena, Alhambra, Boyle Heights, City Terrace and Hermon/Highland Park. Some call it East L.A. and some call it Northeast L.A..
It's not really East L.A. proper, so personally I consider it Northeast L.A..

mattatouille said...

considering I live just down the street it should be a nice addition to the neighborhood. Hopefully it'll compete despite the new starbucks opening near the walgreens.

Anonymous said...

It looks like the Starbucks backed out of the Walgreens stripmall location......
There is nothing going on in the space, whereas the Hawaiian BBQ joint and Walgreen's are almost ready to open.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome news! I noticed that M.A.N. insurance had moved around the corner and I wondered what was up. I thought they owned that building. They've been there . . . . shit, maybe before I was born. Bit of Trivia: The building appears briefly in Reservoir Dogs, in the scene where Mr. Pink is running from the cops, I think.

@slowrider - I don't think Starbuck's is backing out, it's just is taking them a while to get the store set up. Oh, and it's always been NE L.A. It's the clueless westsiders who think L.A. revolves around them that call it east L.A.

@matthew - If you want to help the local places fend off starbucks, set me up with a tab at Tobacco Planet and I'll sit out in front of Starbucks and smoke stinky cigars.