Monday, May 21, 2007

Taste test: brunch at Lucky Devils

beer pancakes!

It was time for a belated Mother's Day brunch, and since I have not one but two little devils, Lucky Devils seemed like the perfect place. I had hoped to combine it with a trip to the Hollywood Farmer's Market or a hike in the hills, but due to the fire and the general laziness of teenagers, we combined it with browsing the wierdness of Hollywood Costumes instead. The brunch menu, served until 3:00, is pretty nice -- beer pancakes, which I wanted to try as soon as I heard about them, brioche french toast, lots of omelette combos and a spicy breakfast sandwich with eggs, sausage, peppers and potatoes (pictured below). The pancakes were crispy and rich, with a subtle yeasty flavor which couldn't really be identified as beer. But if you're up for it, you can have one of their great craft beers or a Devilish bloody mary with your pancakes or perhaps more fittingly with the spicy breakfast sandwich. It was already lunch time, so Sam had one of their excellent Angus burgers and fries.

The fries are extra crispy, which we all loved; Sophie said her bacon was "perfect": basically everyone loved their food. The only problem? Severe delays getting the food, and everything came out piecemeal, leaving some of us waiting far longer than others. Since it's not crowded at all for brunch, I'm not really sure what the problem was, but it's too bad since the food is all delicious in that decadent bacony syrupy sort of way. But without me saying anything at all, our server took 20% off the bill, which was a much-appreciated gesture. If they can just smooth out the kitchen glitches, this is a hell of a place for brunch. Delirium Tremens and eggs, anyone?
Lucky Devils
6613 Hollywood Blvd.
(323) 465-8259


Hilary said...

I ate there after they had been open a month, and we had the same issues with slow service and one plate at a time. And the place was empty.

I'm surprised they still haven't smoothed things out. It's been long enough.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the food. We eat there for brunch a lot. 90% of the time we have great service, then the other 10% will be random, dishes coming out piecemeal. Seems more of a kitchen issue rather than a server issue.

Husband also ordered the braised ribs with corn pudding for dinner the other night, and the corn pudding was amazing! Beer and wine selection is good as well.


Mike said...

Great post!

As a new food blogger, I just wanted to drop by and say hey. Keep a look out for me as I grow.

Meanwhile, continue the great posts!


annie said...

this is what i love about food blogs: after reading this post, i turned to my friend reading comics across from me and said, "you know what? i'd really love some beer pancakes right now."

then he suggested we get some beer instead.

thanks for the inspiration! keep writing and giving me ideas.

Unknown said...

Ok now.... I have just moved to LA from San Francisco. Can I just say how under-whelmed I am with the food in Los Angeles. I feel like you can stumble across any number of amazing restaurants in Sf and only expect to pay $10 for your meal. Not the case for LA. That said... I have recently come across Lucky Devils. I was a little skeptic at first, thinking it was another actor turned restaurateur type place. Not the case what so ever. The quality of food, the service, everything about it reminded me of home! Finally a place I will return to over and over. I came for the all you can drink mimosas at brunch. Had the French toast and spicy sausage. AWESOME is all I can say!!! I came back for lunch and brought a friend back with me. She is a vegetarian so I was a little worried because this place is know for their burgers. To my surprise they had an awesome selection for the veggies. I had the Kobe Bacon Blue. The best damn burger I have ever had!! I'm craving it just thinking about it. With lunch we had a one of the 40 Hand Crafted Beers. Ok what!!! The beer selection was outstanding. Not expected. My friend had a Spiked Mango Lim-aide with a huge strawberry garnish. She sucked that down in about 2 seconds and went for another. After my beer I tried the Devils Mary. PERFECTION. They gave me a side plate with there special in house made hot sauce, in house made pickles, in house blue cheese garlic stuffed olives a lime and celery. I’m telling you this place is awesome. I cant say AWESOME enough. Ill be back at least once a week.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your write up on Lucky Devils--no doubt home to a very good kobe burger. Come visit my hamburger review blog at and tell me what you think.