It's going to be fun watching headline writers and film reviewers fall all over each other trying to come up with the most outlandish food analogies to describe Julie & Julia, opening Aug. 7. Variety's Justin Chang says "Meryl Streep's...turn is the freshest ingredient" but otherwise he finds it "overstuffed and predigested." Critic John Anderson agreed (not in a review, but on Facebook) that it's like two movies: One is a fresh hot tasty latte, while the other is a week-old doughnut iced with Crisco."Ouch!
The bloggers and foodies (here's a great post from Mattbites) who were wooed with early screenings were quite a bit more charitable, although all seem to agree that watching Streep is the main attraction. I'm going to the premiere Monday so I'll report back after I see it...and hopefully catch la Streep in person.
I hear it's great. I can't wait to see it and read the book.
ReplyDeleteI was enraptured every second that Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were on screen. Julie's story just can't compare to Julia's, which was no fault of Amy Adams. But I was able to suspend my normal critical faculties because the Julia half was so totally captivating.
ReplyDelete