Thursday, September 20, 2012

Berlin blogger The Wednesday Chef comes to Vroman's Friday with her new book "My Berlin Kitchen"

Like the letter packed with long-gone ethnic restaurants Jonathan Gold sent me by snail mail before the Internets began, I feel a special connection to those writers and bloggers willing to share their knowledge personally.
So although it's been a year and a half since I went to Berlin, I was excited to read My Berlin Kitchen, the new book by Luisa Weiss, author of blogs The Wednesday Chef, which is mostly cooking and Berlin on a Platter, about restaurants and shopping.
She was kind enough to email with some recommendations before my trip to Berlin, and though it was too freezing to enjoy Prater's beer garden and Cafe Einstein was reserved for a Swedish film distributors party, I loved her rec of historic Henne for fried chicken. Reading My Berlin Kitchen, I couldn't imagine how unsettling it must have been to shuttle between a father in the U.S. and a mother in Berlin as a child, never quite knowing where you belong. But despite these challenges and the loneliness that sometimes came with them, I was hopelessly envious of her dream jobs in book publishing, her mother's family property in Italy where her amazing wedding was held and of course her ease and joy in the kitchen. I like how Weiss pairs each chapter of the memoir which is subtitled "A love story (with recipes)" about an episode in her life with a recipe that goes with that period, and I'm looking forward to trying Quark Cheesecake and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Colatura.
Weiss will be discussing and signing signing Friday evening at Vroman's bookstore in Pasadena (695 E. Colorado Blvd.) at 7 p.m.

2 comments:

L.A. Story said...

Thanks for the tip! This book sounds so intriguing.

ba san said...


Where do you want to go?If you have not thought of it?Come here to see

it!Perhaps you like. www.yessoso.com