|Russell from Feral Honey shows off some beeswax|
Lindsay at LAist summed up 8 things to check out at ArtisanalLA on Laist...now here's a few more if you're going Downtown on Sunday.
1) Cast Iron Gourmet housemade bacon: This was the first event for Rashida Purifoy and her brand-new Cast Iron Gourmet bacon. There were samples of maple and Cajun bacon and bacon trail mix, and I took home half a pound of bacon for breakfast tomorrow.
2) BarKeep Bitters and FruitLab Organic Liquors: I knew them back when they were just Modern Spirits, but Litty and Melkon are brewing up more fine cocktail ingredients with their bitters, liqueurs and organic vodka, rum and soon, tequila. Try a sip of each at their booth, and have Litty mix you a mini-cocktail with ingredients like hibiscus liqueur.
3) I checked out the Backwards Bee workshop where Amy from Feral Honey was explaining the basics of backyard beekeeping. Charles from 100MileGourmet promised that when my backyard is available, he'll come and babysit some bees so we can both have honey. Feral Honey's own honey is out of season right now, but the sample I tried was earthy and layered with plenty of Silver Lake terroir. You can still buy honey from Eagle Rock at their booth.
4) Flavored butters from Villebois Kitchen. They're sold at Full of Life in Burbank, and I couldn't stop before I tried all four flavors: sundried tomato with rosemary, blueberry, fig and port and lemon and dill. They also supply other French goodies like quiches, pate and rillettes.
5) Tartist.LA -- Great presentation, and the lemon tart Xarene calls the Nomi is made from Klaus Nomi's recipe. I don't know why, but it sounds cool. Her Persian-inspired tarts incorporate flavors like fig and pomegranate.