Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Where to go in the Santa Inez Valley? Wally's Central Coast Wine & Food Celebration guides the way

Tuna tacos from Brother's
 Tuna tacos from Brother's at Mattei's Tavern.

It turned out to be fortuitous that I started planning a quick trip to the Santa Inez Valley the same weekend as Wally's Wine Central Coast Wine & Food Celebration. The benefit tasting is always a laid-back way to try dozens of excellent Central Coast wines. Unlike many tasting events, there's about 15 or 20 food booths, so it's actually possible to try nearly each one and remember what you ate.
Full of Life flatbread pizza


I'll definitely stop by Full of Life flatbread pizza. We're staying in Los Alamos, and the oyster flatbread was really special. 
Alma Rosa chardonnay


I almost always stick to red wine, but the chardonnay at Alma Rosa won me over and the winemakers seemed really nice. The tasting room is in Buellton.
abalone soup, Windrose farm





Paso Robles' Artisan restaurant's
Cayucos abalone crudo
with tomatoes from Windrose Farm in Paso Robles.


Of course the local restaurants all had great tastes too, like Mozza's luscious burrata with tomato and grilled bread, Cut's steak and bean salad and Tavern's triple pork burger and Gelato Bar's mascarpone coffee ice cream. But the chance to try La Fenetre's Los Alamos Pinot Noir, Qupe and Tercero wines, sour wheat beer from Telegraph Brewing was a great reminder of where to visit on the Central Coast.
Now I have a to-do list for my trip next week, but if there's a winery or restaurant in that area you like, please chime in below.

5 comments:

maria said...

hey nice job u do i like it good work ....thanks for sharing
Central Coast Web Design

Erin McGrath Davis said...

Just curious, where are you staying in Los Alamos? The only hotel I know of there is the Union Hotel - please don't say you're staying there! It's an awful rip-off of a dump!!

stuffycheaks said...

sigh, wanted to attend this but I had plans that day. I love tavern's triple pork! great choice

ChocoMeat said...

How fun, I try to get up there every chance I get.. Joining a few
Foxen Canyon Wine Trail
wineries has helped that! Brothers Restaurant is always the cherry on top, or Artisan if in Paso.

Peanut said...

Ohhh.. My favorites are: Tres Hermanas, Kenneth Volk, and Demetria... I am jealous!